About Me

My photo
We met May 22, 2010 and enjoy going through life together even on the bad days because they make the best ones even better! We enjoy cake and going on walks. Contradictory, we know. We ride horses, play chess, and try to make room for homework.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tricked by Mark Twain.......how silly of me.

Book: Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc
Author:Mark Twain

At first I thought that Mark Twain translated the manuscript from French into English since the author of the manuscript was Sieur Louis De Conte. So I began reading the book as a historical publication.

When I researched it a bit more I discovered that it is completely made up and that Mark Twain purposely made it so that it appeared to be a translation from the original copy. I am saddened but that doesn't mean that this book deserves the limelight of readers.

Mark Twain usually has a humorist and satyr mood. On the contrary, this book is the most refined book I have read from him so far. I have read a good majority of his other books and short stories. But this book was uplifting morally and put a sense of pride of your own country into you. The tone is factual with a friendly undertone.

If I read this book without knowing the author was Mark Twain I would have guessed Margaret George. She is a great historical writer except for "Helen of Troy." Anyways, I most passionately urge you to read this book.

Its pious and delightful.

No comments: